Metro Manila, Philippines—Some 913 jobseekers were Hired-On-the-Spot (HOTS) during the job fair in Manila, Pasig, Taguig and Parañaque City in June 2022, said the Department of Labor and Employment – National Capital Region (DOLE-NCR).

In the report of DOLE-NCR Regional Director Atty. Sarah Buena S. Mirasol to Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III, the HOTS were among the 5,705 jobseekers who flocked at the Independence Day Job Fair on June 12 at Robinson’s Place – Ermita, Manila (86 HOTS out 856 registered applicants); Vista Mall Taguig City (199 out of 1,055); Pasig City Sports Complex (289 out of 2,020); and on June 14 at Fortunata Village Clubhouse Gymnasium in Parañaque City (339 out of 707).

While the COVID-19 pandemic Alert Level 1 remains in place in Metro Manila, a total of 81.0 percent (or 4,638) of the jobseekers took chance to personally meet their potential employers on said areas while 19.0 percent (or 1,067) find it more convenient to apply online via Job Quest PH, DOLE-NCR’s virtual job search partner.

In the same report, 96.2 percent (or 5,491) of the jobseekers competed for local employment while those who vied for overseas jobs were at 3.75 percent (or 214).

The top industries that the jobseekers applied for were from the Business Process Outsourcing (BPOs) companies, including jobs in Manufacturing, Hotel & Restaurant, Health & Wellness, Transportation & Logistics, Wholesale, Retail & Trade, and Construction.

One of those hired on-the-spot was Ms. Melanie De Jesus – Duran from Quezon City who did not expect to be considered as one of the new Service Crews at Popeye’s—a fast food restaurant company and one of DOLE-NCR’s participating employers.

She completed her Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel & Restaurant Management and eventually found work. However, similar to the sentiments shared by other affected workers, the pandemic did not also spare her from losing job.

“Nawalan ako ng trabaho and nasira yung business namin because of pandemic…sa panahon ngayon, mahalaga ang kumita ng pera…,” she said.

“To be honest, napadaan lang po talaga ako dito tapos ngayon may trabaho na ako kaya maraming, maraming salamat po sa bumubuo ng DOLE. Dahil dito [job fair] nabigyan po ako ng trabaho,” she added.

Ms. Jhuniza Joy Guillermo, 25 years old who hailed from Angadanan, Isabela land her dream job during the job fair, when she was hired on-the-spot as Marketing Associate at Business Trends.

“Sa mga naghahanap ng trabaho ‘wag kayong mawalan ng pag-asa dahil kay Lord and sa sarili niyo dapat mayroon kayong lakas ng loob…malaking bagay na ma-hire on-the-spot ako at siguradong kaya niyo din kaya maraming salamat sa DOLE dahil natulungan ako,” she said.

Meanwhile, DOLE-NCR also provided free mediation-arbitration and legal services, including referral of 170 jobseekers to the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) for skills training and 149 applicants for DOLE livelihood assistance or counseling.

END / Hershey Aquino with report from Genevieve De Castro